Free Pattern – Christmas Present Pillow
- This pattern creates a square pillow 16″x16″ by using a pillow form with those dimensions. Changing the hook size and/or yarn might require changing the number of stitches. Keep a measuring tape handy and double check as you move along.
- For this project, I used a 4.5 mm crochet hook and Red Heart Comfort yarn. If you’re using a different yarn, you can adjust the hook accordingly but keep in mind that a tight stitch is desirable for this project so the white pillow form doesn’t show through.
- I chose to sew shut the pillow cover. If you prefer using a zipper or buttons, you may do so.
- Red yarn
- White yarn
- 4.5 mm crochet hook (or another hook that matches your yarn)
- Pillow form 16″x16″
- Yarn needle
- Measuring tape
- With red yarn ch 62.
- Sc in the second chain from the hook, sc in each of the following chains until the end of the row. Ch 1 and turn.
- Repeat row 2 above until the piece measures 32″ long. Finish off.
- Fold the pillow cover and sew the edges first.
- Place the form inside the cover and then sew the remaining opening. I keep the opening in the middle of the pillow like this because it will eventually be covered by the crisscrossed white bands.
- The pillow cover is now complete.
White bands (make 2):
- With white yarn ch 123 and join to form a circle which making sure not to twist the chain. The chain should fit around the pillow.
- Sc in each of the following chains around the circle. The piece is worked in the round, do not join.
- When you have completed 6 rows, finish off.
- Repeat the instructions above for the second piece.
- Place the white bands on the pillow creating a cross.
- With white ch 141.
- Sc in second chain from the hook and in the remaining chains until the end of the row. Ch 1 and turn.
- Sc in each in each sc, sc2tog for the last 2 sc in the row. Ch 1 and turn.
- Repeat row 3 above until the piece has 8 rows. Finish off.
- Attach red yarn to a any stitch around the edge and sc evenly around making a border. Finish off.
- Fold the piece to make a bow and attach it to the center of the pillow.
The finished product should look something like this: